PCOS/PCOD [Polycystic ovarion Syndrom] – is one of the most common female endocrine hormone disorders, affecting up to 20% of women in their reproduction age, which leads to primary or secondary Infertility. PCOS in Ayurveda was correlated with Aartav Kshaya.
PCOD is a condition in which the ovaries produce high amount of andragens (male hormones), particularly testosteron resulting in high level of luteinizing hormone ( LH) and low level of fallicle stimulating hormone (FSH) presents from producing a mature egg leading Anovulatory cycles and irregular menstruation.
Cause of PCOS/PCOD- The exact cause of PCOS/PCOD is unknown but it may be relating to abnormal hormone levels.
* Resistance to insulin
* Hormone imbalance
* High level of androgens
* Increased level of inflammation
Symptoms of PCOS/PCOD
*When menstrual cycles fre irregular (less than 9 cycles per year)
* Scanty bleeding or heavy flow
* Weight gain or difficulty to lose weight
* Excessive hair growth on face
* Acne on face and back
* Thinning of scalp hair
* Thick or pigmentation of skin on neck
* Irritablity or depression
Secondary Disorders developing due to PCOS
* Infertility and Miscarriage
* High blood pressure
* Dyslipidaemia ( High level of blood cholestrol)
* Insulin resistance or type 2 diabetes
* Thyroid disorder
PCOS Treatment in Ayurveda- PCOS needs early diagnosis and long term complications. We plan a customized treatment fir each individual which is specific to their symptoms
*Weight loss in PCOD
* Restoration of regular menstruation
* Restoration of fertility
* Treatment of hirsutism, hair fall and acne
* Lowering of serum insulin levels
Ayurveda medicine for PCOS is given for minimum 6 cycles to 12 menstrual cycles along with guidance on diet and exercise
Diet recommendation for PCOD
* Avoid all sugary foods and artificial sweeteners
* Reduce salt intake during menstruation
* Increase the consumption of fruit and vegetables
* Choose whole grains, which contain all parts of grain
* Non vegetarians take protein foods such as fresh fish, organic chicken, organic eggs, whole grains and legumes should be eaten to balance your blood glucose levels.
* Limit intake of saturated fats that are found in Red meat, chicken, commercially prepared snack foods.
Lifestyle recommendation for PCOS-
* Manage stress and anxiety. Reducing stress.
* Stay well hydrated by drinking 1.5-2 l of filtered water daily.
* Perform moderate exercise of 45 min daily.
* Practice alternate Nasal breathing- pranayama.